Thursday, March 31, 2011

Swooning

Museum exhibits in New York are a dime a dozen--so choosing which one to see can be a struggle. Last weekend, my friend Alexis and I went to the Van Cleef & Arpels exhibit at the Cooper Hewitt National Design Museum. Alexis had previously checked it out, and loved it so much that she had to take another peek--and insisted I come along (but really, it wasn't like she had to twist my arm).

I'm so glad I went. Not only are the gems gorgeous pieces of art, but the craftsmanship behind them is jaw-dropping. And if you're a fashion-lover, like me, this exhibit is far more rewarding than looking at a collection of paintings. Some of the most beautiful women of the 20th century have owned Van Cleef & Arpels pieces, including Daisy Fellowes, the Duchess of Windsor, and the late, great Elizabeth Taylor.

If you're in the NY area, I highly recommend checking it out. The exhibit runs through June 5. Here's a small sampling of the goods on display:

Images courtesy of Cooper Hewitt National Design Museum












Cooper Hewitt National Design Museum, 2 E. 91st St (at Fifth Ave.), NYC

No comments:

Post a Comment