Saturday, April 10, 2010

A Soup With Panache

I've been feeding you too much butter lately, so I decided to make you some soup. I think our waistlines will thank us. This pea soup is really a delight. It's soft and elegant, with some fresh mint that gives it panache. I bet you won't even miss the butter. I like any excuse to use my big red soup pot, too. It doesn't get nearly as much activity as I imagined it would when I spotted it at the Tanger Outlet in Pennsylvania last summer, visions of soups and stocks dancing in my head.



I think this pea soup does the pot proud. It's a nice in-between-seasons soup that can be served warm or chilled. I like it best chilled, though. Something about the cold soup and the mint is incredibly refreshing, and makes me think summer can't be too far away.

I enjoyed a bowl with a hunk of bread and butter (of course). I can't say it's all that substantial on its own, though I bet it's a lovely accompaniment to salads and pasta.



Chilled Pea Soup with Mint
Adapted from Bon Appetit

Ingredients
1 Tbs olive oil
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
4 c shelled fresh peas, or two 16-ounce bags of frozen peas, unthawed (I like Cascadian Farms organic).
2 3/4 c low-sodium chicken stock
1/4 c chopped fresh mint, plus more for garnish
Salt and pepper to taste

This soup purees beautifully. Just be sure to pulse in your blender or food processor in small batches, since hot foods expand when blended.

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic. Saute until tender, about 7 minutes. Add peas and stir for 1 minute. Add chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Cook until peas are very tender, 8 to 10 minutes (or about 15, if you're using frozen peas). Cool soup for 15 minutes. Puree soup and 1/4 c mint in batches in food processor or blender 'til smooth. Season with salt and pepper, cover and chill for one hour.

Ladle into bowls and garnish with additional mint.

No comments:

Post a Comment