Friday, October 22, 2010

Something to Love



How do I put this delicately?

I’m not much of a football fan.

It’s not that I don’t get why other people enjoy it: I can appreciate the thrill of a touchdown, the feeling of community, the tears when someone really deserving wins a Heisman, the prophet that is Tim Tebow. It’s just that...I don’t know what the fuss is all about. People name their first born sons after football players, throw things out the window in fits of rage over a bad call, even get arrested in the name of their teams. There’s a jail in the Eagles’ stadium with its own presiding judge for crying out loud.

Having said all this, the man I love loves football. I think I’ve come a long way in terms of my understanding and – yes, I’ll say it – appreciation of the game. I met David in the Fall of 2007, smack in the middle of college football season. There are few things this man loves more than the South Carolina Gamecocks (this being one of them), and so I found myself cheering for the team on a number of chilly Saturdays at the Copper Door Tavern in Murray Hill. Admittedly, I found myself routing for the other team a lot of the time, because I didn’t know who was who. But I will say that seeing David's devotion to his team was not only endearing, it was inspiring. I don't think many people know that kind of love. Flash forward three years, and Steve Spurrier, Marcus Lattimore, Stephon Gilmore and Alshon Jeffery are household names for the both of us. I should also note that I date the kind of guy who would name his first-born after one of these guys, and may have promised a few people that he would.

Two weeks ago, when South Carolina beat Alabama in what I have been told (by some biased fans) was the most amazing game in the history of college football, I found myself jumping for joy in a Mississippi dive bar. If that’s not evidence of true love, I don’t know what is. I’ve even begun to understand phrases like “bump and run,” “drop back” and “fair catch,” and why people cheer even when their players have been tackled. It’s all about getting to the end zone.

Where am I going with all of this? I’ll tell you. For the past few years, I’ve embraced football by making it an excuse to have people over for snacks. We may like different teams - and some of us might not even like football - but we can all get behind good food. Sometimes I make bruscetta, sometimes I bake biscuits with cheddar cheese and dill, and once there were slow-cooked French Dips on baguettes (that was an important game). But I have never made anything that can hold a candle to David’s Game Day Chili. Leave it to a boy from the South to have a chili recipe so utterly perfect. It is a party of pinto beans, green chilies, paprika, hot sauce and a can of dark beer for good measure (if you ask me, I think this is the secret ingredient). Looking at this recipe for the first time, throwing all these ingredients together seems risky. There's a lot going on. But somehow, they all truly complement one another. This chili is also my favorite left over meal. Reheat it on a Sunday night to keep the blues at bay.

This chili makes every game more special: the touchdowns become more glorious, the high-fives more emphatic. Even if your team loses, you still feel like you’ve won.

Now that’s something to love.

David’s Game Day Chili
Adapted from the St. George Church Cookbook

I’ve been asked to give the recipe’s original creator, Arthur Dukes, a shout out. According to David, he’s a swell guy. And I can tell you he's one fantastic cook.

2 lbs. ground ground turkey
1 med. onion, chopped
3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
2 (15-oz) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
3 (8-oz) cans tomato sauce
1 (12-oz) bottle dark beer (David likes Brooklyn Lager)
1 (14.5-oz) can beef broth
1 (6-oz) can tomato paste
1 (4.5-oz) can chopped green chilies
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 to 2 tsp ground red pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp hot sauce

Cook first three ingredients in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring until meat crumbles and is no longer pink. Break up the meat with a wooden spoon to aid in the browning. Drain cooked meat in a colander. Combine meat, beans, and next 11 ingredients in a Dutch oven and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for at least three hours. In our experience, the longer the chili simmers, the better. Last week, David started cooking at 11 am for a six o’clock kick off. It was the best chili yet.

I like my chili served over rice with a dollop of sour cream and some grated cheddar cheese. A slice or two of jalapeno pepper adds a nice kick, though this chili is plenty spicy for most people.

No comments:

Post a Comment