Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Just Can't Get Enough

Last night, Dave and I made dinner for our friends Peter, Sarah and Penny. In my mind, there’s nothing better than good food, good friends and some Aretha Franklin. Pinot Noir doesn’t hurt, either. And when people come all the way from Harlem to check out your new Brooklyn digs, you’ve got to reward them with a great meal. I plan to write a full post about last night’s festivities, but since I can’t stop eating this particular side dish I made last night, I thought I’d share it with you immediately. It was quite the crowd pleaser. I reheated it for lunch today and couldn’t get enough.

It’s funny how the things you despise in childhood often become the things you can’t live without as an adult (naps and the opposite sex come to mind). One of those things for me is mushrooms. I wouldn’t even look at them as a kid, but they are now my favorite vegetable. I love their substantial texture and how they are so easily substituted for traditional meat dishes. Have you ever had a Portobello mushroom burger? It’s life-changing. This dish may not be life-changing, but it certainly is heartwarming – and couldn’t be easier to prepare. I added kale to the mushrooms because, frankly, I had never eaten kale before and I was feeling adventurous. I found it added a nice touch of green to the mix. The red wine and butter made this taste like something you’d find in a Parisian bistro and made the whole thing taste so, so good.

I didn’t take any pictures last night because I was having too much fun, but I’ll upload some the next time I make this, which I anticipate will be very soon.

Sautéed Mushrooms and Kale in Red Wine and Butter

Ingredients
24 small mushrooms (whichever variety you prefer), sliced.
1 bunch of kale, washed and dried
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup of red wine or sherry
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Put olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. When butter is completely melted (but not brown), add garlic. Sautee for about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté for about five minutes, or until they are all heated through. Add half a cup of red wine, and lower heat. Simmer for another five minutes. Add kale and blend into the mushrooms with a spatula until wilted, about one minute. Serve immediately.

Note: The remaining sauce in the pan is wonderful over roast chicken.

Serves 4-8 people

No comments:

Post a Comment